Everybody Wins! Iowa will be celebrating our 7th annual Power Reading Month beginning on October 16 until November 16, 2017. Throughout the month, we will be celebrating at each of the 72 individual programs in Central Iowa (Ankeny, Des Moines, Indianola, Norwalk, Pella, Perry, and West Des Moines). During this time, we will be providing new books to our students, highlighting the importance of our Power Reading programs, promoting the power of literacy and mentoring, and thanking school sponsors and volunteers for their outstanding work throughout the past year.
Last program year, we served more than 744 students in 36 Des Moines area schools and community organizations. 85 % of EWI students improved or maintained their literacy skills; our reading pairs read over 13,877 books and 482,209 pages, and volunteer reading mentors contributed over 9,608 hours to our cause.
Currently, we are serving almost 500 Central Iowa students, but we are looking to grow that number even further, as we have the capacity to serve over 800 students this school year. Our programs have expanded to include before-school, after-school, lunch-time, and summer programs, so we have times available to fit nearly anyone’s busy schedule.
Here are the programs where we currently have the highest need:
1849 Forest Avenue, Des Moines
Friday 11:15-11:45 (2nd grade)
Friday 11:35-12:05 (1st grade)
River Woods Elementary
2929 SE 22nd Street, Des Moines
Wednesday 11:50-12:25 (1st grade)
Thursday 11:35-12:10 (3rd grade)
3000 Cambridge Street, Des Moines
Tuesday 8:00-8:35 (3rd-5th grade)
801 E Kenyon Avenue, Des Moines
Thursday 7:45-8:20 (1st-5th grade)
If you’re not a reading mentor with us and would like to be, apply today at http://bit.ly/2hTvkAz or contact Anna, Volunteer Outreach Manager, at email@example.com or by calling 515-242-8462.
If you’re interested in helping, but don’t have the time to read with a student each week, we have also have a number of other ways that you can help support Everybody Wins! Iowa:
- Sponsor a student: For only 83 cents a day, you can sponsor a full program year of reading and mentoring for a child. Through a $25 recurring monthly gift, you can make a huge impact on a child’s life. As a privately-funded non-profit organization, we rely solely on the financial support we receive from our community to fund our programs. Learn more about becoming a monthly donor here: http://bit.ly/2wKI2cr
- Choose Everybody Wins! Iowa in your employee giving campaigns or volunteer match
- Support Everybody Wins! Iowa by using AmazonSmile each time you shop on Amazon.com. Sign up here: http://amzn.to/2ywiIGk
- Follow us on social media for the latest news and updates (links can be found at the bottom of this page)
- Share this message with a friend or family member who may be interested in becoming a mentor with Everybody Wins! Iowa
Thank you supporting our Power Read program. As a volunteer-driven organization, we could not have such a large impact on the lives of children throughout Central Iowa without your continued support and dedication.